Do you know? Leaving cookies and milk for Santa on Christmas Eve is a popular Christmas tradition? Kids will love folding in the flour and rolling the dough - older kids can help with cutting with the cookie cutter too too!
Let's learn how to make butter cookies with this simple recipe.
What you need
225g unsalted butter (room temperature)
Step by Step
1. Add the butter and sugar to a large mixing bowl. Beat well with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy.
2. Add the salt, vanilla extract and egg and beat in with the electric mixer.
3. Fold in the flour using a wooden spoon. Bring the mixture into a dough with your hands.
4. Lightly flour your work surface. Roll the dough into two round logs with your hands, wrap it in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/Gas Mark 3.
6. Remove the dough from the fridge. Slice into 1cm rounds. Optional: Use your cookie cutter to create fun shapes. We used the toothpick to carve out the smiley faces.
7. Place the biscuits on two baking trays lined with baking paper, spacing them out to allow space between the biscuits.
8. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden around the edges and light golden brown in the centres.
9. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the baking trays for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.