The Glow Salt Circuit is an engaging STEAM project that allows children to explore three fun concepts:
- Electrical Circuits
- The Science of Glow
- Artistic Expression
What you need
1. A Large Sheet of Paper, or Plastic Covering for your table/floors
2. Coloured Construction Paper
3. Table Salt
4. 2 Paper Clips
5. Alligator Clips
6. Double AA Battery Pack
7. LED Bulbs
8. Glow-in-the-Dark Glue
Step by Step
1. Before your begin, lay a large sheet of paper, or plastic covering, on the surface that you are going to be creating the salt circuit on.
2. Draw the outline of your design on your construction paper. When you are drawing your design, your line should start at the bottom of the paper along the middle mark, and end at the top of the paper. This is so that we can connect the bulb and alligator clips later on
3. Cut your construction paper in half and place it side by side with approximately 2cm space in between.
4. Squeeze the glow-in-the-dark glue along your outline. You can squeeze a little extra glue at all four points to make it a little thicker.
5. Place two paper clips on the bottom middle end points. Make sure that it is settled into the glue.
6. Attach your battery pack using alligator clips. Explain to your child about the positive and negative terminals, and ensure that they are linked to opposite sides or the circuit will not work.
7. Stretch open the two legs of the LED light bulb and place it in the middle of the two top end points. Remember that each leg should settle nicely into the glue at each point.
Tip: The longer side of the LED light bulb is positive!
8. Are you ready to light up your circuit? Take your table salt and sprinkle it along the glue lines generously. Switch off the lights and watch your salt circuit glow with the light bulb turned on!
Tip: If it doesn't light up right away, check if your circuit is connected properly. If it is, squeeze another layer of glow-in-the-dark glue and sprinkle it with salt again.
Explore more glow-in-the-dark activities, science experiments, and DIY crafts with Squizzel Box. Learn more about the In The Still Of The Night thematic box here!