Explore your sense of sound and pitch by making music with water! 🎶
What you need
2. 3 to 6 Similar Glasses
3. Metal Spoon
4. Food Colouring*
Step by Step
1) Fill the glasses with different volumes of water.
2) Invite your child to tap the glasses lightly with the metal spoon and hear the different pitch the glasses produce.
3) Drip different food colouring in each glass to represent the different pitch it produces.
4) Ask your child open-ended questions:
- How do the sounds sound different?
- Does the pitch sound higher or lower?
- Can you hear a higher pitch when there is more or less water in the glass?
Find out more about the science of sound and discover what your amazing senses can do through fun hands-on activities. Learn more about the Five Senses thematic box here!